The early history of Lypiatt Road goes back to Galipot Farm and the Earl of Suffolk.
Galipot Farm was an important Cheltenham landmark for over a century before the rest of the town took shape. In 1694, it went by the name of Gallypott Hall, (most likely quite a large and fine residence). It was a popular spot for social gatherings during the heyday of the original Cheltenham Spa. In the early 1800's, Galipot Farm and its surrounding fields were bought by the Earl of Suffolk, who had a grand bow-fronted house built. The building of Suffolk House in around 1808 marked a new phase for this area of Cheltenham.
‘Lypiatt’ is a word which means ‘gate in an enclosure fence which only deer can leap’. In this instance the name has a very old association with this part of Cheltenham, long pre-dating any town development.
Lypiatt Hotel was built on a field called The Lypiatts, and shown on a 1776 enclosure map as Lippetts. On the 1834 map, when the Tivoli Place houses were newly constructed, Andover Road was named as Lippiate Street - not to be confused with the present day Lypiatt Street.
Lypiatt Road today is a very attractive residential street between the Montpellier roundabout and Suffolk Road.
The ancient pedigree of the Lypiatt name and the status of this street as one of Cheltenham’s finest, was until 1906 referred to as ‘the road in front of Suffolk Lawn and Lypiatt Terrace’, emphasising the difference between the two sides.
In 1820 the Earl of Suffolk died and his daughter sold off surplus lands to the proprietor of the Clarence Hotel in Clarence Parade (the hotel building still exists, now called John Dower House). Suffolk Square, uses the classic Regency layout of a central communal garden with houses facing towards it around all four sides.
The elegant curve of Lypiatt Road is most likely an affectation of those who built it, and gives only a passing nod to the mildly curved field edges of Galipot Farm development in Suffolk Square, consisting of five large detached houses along the east side of Lypiatt Road.
Most Suffolk Lawn houses have been converted to business premises in recent years.
The magnificent terrace on the north side of Suffolk Square, now one of Cheltenham’s architectural showpieces, dates from 1848. The Montpellier Pump Room, now generally called the Rotunda, and Montpellier Terrace and Gardens.
And so came today's Lypiatt Terrace. It is one of the widest of Cheltenham’s major terraces. The Victorian era arrived, and with it an architectural extravagance and showiness which contrast with the classical style of the Suffolk estate. Set back from the road behind a wide strip of communal lawn, the terrace is designed in an Italianate style with rounded arched windows and a long balcony right along its frontage formed from carved stone rings.